Your Quality-of-Care Concerns
If a Medicare beneficiary has a concern or is not satisfied with the quality of care received, he or she can call the HSAG California Medicare Beneficiary Complaints Helpline at1-866-800-8749
. A beneficiary may also download a Quality-of-Care Complaint Form (English
) to complete and fax to 813-354-0737 or mail to:
Attention: Medicare Quality of Care Beneficiary Complaints
Health Services Advisory Group
5201 West Kennedy Boulevard
Tampa, Florida 33609
Examples of Poor Quality Care:
- Receiving the wrong medication
- Receiving unnecessary surgery/diagnostic testing
- Receiving an overdose of medication
- Experiencing a delay in service
- Receiving inadequate care or treatment by any Medicare hospital or doctor
- Experiencing a change in condition that was not treated
- Receiving a misdiagnosis
- Receiving inadequate discharge instructions
One of HSAG's trained team members will listen to the complaint and help the beneficiary decide what to do. One of a beneficiary's choices is to make a formal complaint. If the beneficiary decides to make a formal complaint, an HSAG team member can help put it in writing. Once HSAG receives the written complaint, the quality-of-care review will begin.
A beneficiary may also directly submit their complaint electronically by clicking HERE
. Please be advised that when submitting a complaint electronically, the QIO cannot be held responsible for the privacy and security of the beneficiary’s protected health information (PHI) during its transmission.
Your case may be suitable for mediation, a new alternative to resolve your concerns by talking directly with a beneficiary's doctor. (Learn more
How and When to Contact HSAG
Trained team members are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. However, a beneficiary can leave a message at HSAG's toll-free number, 866-800-8749
, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. One of HSAG's team members will assist you with translation services if English is not your primary language.
A beneficiary can call HSAG at 866-800-8749
if he or she:
- Wishes to discuss the quality of care received.
- Wants to file a formal quality-of-care complaint.
- Needs help understanding Medicare rights
A beneficiary can call 1-800-MEDICARE if he or she:
- Has general questions about Medicare coverage.
- Needs clarification on how to enroll in Medicare.
- Wishes to discuss billing issues.
- Wants to learn more about Medicare benefits and services.