A Learning and Action Network (LAN) is a way to achieve large-scale improvement by bringing together people from within a community, including both healthcare providers and patients, to work together. It creates opportunities for sharing ideas, learning and problem solving in a given area. Network 15 currently has an active Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAI) LAN, as well as supporting national LAN activities related to Patient Engagement.
LANs are hosted by the End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) National Coordinating Center, but invitations to join the LANs come from the Network. If you are interested in joining a LAN, please contact the Network to receive an invitation.
Bloodstream Infection (BSI) Quality Improvement Activity (QIA) LAN Webinars
Locate and download PowerPoint slide decks and recorded webinars from all of the 2018 BSI QIA LAN meetings below:
- BSI QIA LAN
January 29, 2018
Download Recorded Webinar
BSI QIA LAN Identified Best Practices
As best practices are identified by the Network, they and any associated resources will be found here:
Identified during the October 2, 2018 BSI QIA LAN event:
- Appoint a dedicated vascular access manager to track patients with a catheter greater than 90 days and review at the monthly QAPI meetings.
- Work closely with vascular access surgeons.
Identified during the August 7, 2018 BSI QIA LAN event:
- Use the “See It, Say It” behavioral recognition slogan.
Identified during the June 5, 2018 BSI QIA LAN event:
Identified during the April 3, 2018 BSI QIA LAN event:
- Practice Scrub the Hub disinfection.
- Use a chlorhexidine-impregnated sponge dressing to catheter exit site.
Identified during the January 29, 2018 BSI QIA LAN event:
- Posting of the CDC’s Days Since Last Bloodstream Infection poster in an area visible to patients, family members and staff. The poster can be found here.
- Encouraging patient compliance with access washing prior to treatment. Facilities can utilize the Caring for Your Dialysis Catheter handout created by the Network to educate patients on this important topic.
BSI QIA LAN Resources
This resource provide notes in a checklist format for clinical managers to utilize for environmental surface disinfection.
Patient Experience of Care (PEOC)
Population Health: Focus on Pain Management LAN
End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) National Coordinating Center (NCC)
The End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) National Coordinating Center (NCC) provides support at the national level for the Medicare ESRD Network Program. This website includes education, tools, and resources for both patients and providers, including those related to vascular access, decreasing conflict, and emergency preparedness.
- About Us
- For Patients and Families
- Patient and Family Engagement (PFE)
- For Providers
- Emergency Preparedness
- Quality Improvement Activities for 2018
- Learning and Action Networks
- Contact Us
- Events Calendar
- ESRD Network 15 Agreement