One of the major barriers to coordinated and effective care in dialysis units is poor communication between:
- Patients and clinic staff.
- Nephrologists and primary care physicians.
Open lines of communication enhance patients':
- Satisfaction and experience of care.
- Adherence to treatment protocols, including:
- Medication regimens.
- Dietary restrictions.
- Dialysis schedules.
- Ability to self-manage their chronic condition.
- Adoption of preventive behaviors, including.
- Getting immunizations.
- Infection control practices, including hand and vascular access washing.
Staff's ability and willingness to listen and empathize can have a profound effect on patients' health outcomes and the provision of quality of care.
Keep watch here as the Network adds tools to help improve communications in your facility.
Improving Communication Tools
We're Not Being Nosy—We Care! is short tool to remind patients of the different situations in which they need to update their care team and facility. It is available in:
Staff Communication Patient Audit Tool (PDF) and Materials—This audit tool and supporting materials can be used to receive feedback from in-center hemodialysis patients regarding how and when staff are communicating with them before, during and after treatment. This easy to implement quality improvement activity can be used to identify areas for better staff and patient communication on the treatment floor and to enhance patient engagement and the experience of care.
This presentation web recording demonstrate how professional behavior by clinic staff impacts the patient experience. It includes professional behaviors that direct care staff can learn and demonstrate in the dialysis clinic to create a positive treatment experience for patients and help prevent grievances. (Duration: 21 minutes)View Resource
- Contact Us
- HSAG HIIN
- Medicare Provider Services
- Patients and Families
ESRD Networks Home
ESRD Network 7
- About Us
- For Patients and Families
- Patient and Family Engagement (PFE)
- For Providers
- Emergency Preparedness
- Quality Improvement Activities
- Learning and Action Networks
- Care Transitions
- Contact Us
- Continuing Education
- Events Calendar
- ESRD Network 13
- ESRD Network 15
- ESRD Network 17
- HSAG: ESRD Network Events
- HSAG ESRD Alerts, Recalls, and Notices
- ESRD Network 7
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- National Contracts
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/P4P)
- Survey Administration
- Other Services