The goals of the Increasing Rates of Patients Dialyzing at Home Quality Improvement Activity (QIA) include:
- Increasing the number of patients training on a home modality within a targeted group of in-center dialysis facilities by two percentage points over baseline.
- Improving collaboration between in-center staff and home modality staff.
- Improving knowledge of home modalities for in-center staff to provide needed support to patients transitioning to home training.
- Improving the tracking and transitioning of eligible patients training on a home modality.
For an overview of the QIA's goals, inclusion criteria, interventions, reporting requirements, best practices and more, watch the 2020 Increase Rate of Patients Dialyzing at Home QIA orientation webinar.
- View PowerPoint slides
- Watch Recorded Webinar (link to come)
Your Kidney Treatment, Your Choice—Learn more about home dialysis options from Home Dialysis Central.
Home Dialysis Treatment Compared (PDF) flyer—Compare the positives and negatives of the different treatment options with this Home Dialysis Central resource.
- Telemedicine Resources:
The Doctor Will See You Now: Telemedicine Makes It Easy (PDF) flyer—Patient guidance on questions to ask your doctor during your telemedicine visit.
ESRD Provider Telehealth and Telemedicine Toolkit (PDF)—Facility guidelines published by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
Patient Telehealth and Telemedicine Education webpage—Patient education on how to get started with telehealth and telemedicine during COVID-19 and what to expect per CMS provided education.
- Let’s Talk: Home Dialysis Conversation Cards: Use this series of conservation cards to open a dialogue with patients about home dialysis treatment options, quality of life, family, schedule flexibly, travel, and diet.
Considering Home Dialysis During a COVID-19 Environment—An ESRD NCC patient Quickinar event for patients and providers.
- Reporting Home Training in CROWNWeb (PDF)
Use this short "how to" document to help report home dialysis training information to CROWNWeb.
- What's Your Plan? (PDF)
What’s Your Plan to Increase the Number of Patients Transitioning Through the 7-Steps to Home Dialysis? walks you through the Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) cycle for moving your in-center patients through the steps to home dialysis training, including helpful examples for each course of the cycle.
- 7 Steps to Home Dialysis Tracker (XLSX)
Use the 7 Steps to Home Dialysis Tracker to document each patient's status as they transition from home dialysis interest to starting training.
- How I Took the Road Home
- Consider Your Dialysis Choices: Choosing the Right Option for You!
Developed by the ESRD NCC LAN, this pateint-friendly resource reviews different dialysis options and what needs to be considered for each one. Available in:
- My Life, My Dialysis Choice (English/Spanish)
- Uncovering Myths About Home Dialysis—Myth vs. Reality
Developed by patients for patients, this booklet from the NCC addresses and dispels common patient misconceptions about home dialysis.
- Could Home Dialysis Be a Choice for Me? (PDF)
Use this checklist to discuss home dialysis as a treatment option with patients to gauge interest, as well as to discuss patient interest with the Interdisciplinary Team during QAPI meetings.
- Tips for Engaging Patients When Hosting a Home Dialysis Lobby Day (PDF)
This one-page tip sheet provides suggestions on how to engage patients in hosting a successful Home Dialysis Lobby Day.
- Peritoneal Dialysis (PD) as a Permanent Access Option (PDF)
This one-page tool explains what PD is and helps a patient determine whether or not PD might be a viable home dialysis option for them.
- Use the Tips to Improve Patient Engagement at the Facility Level (PDF) tool to assist in identifying a patient advocate and for facilitating a Peer Mentoring program and/or support group for home and in-center patients.
- Use the Patient Education & Engagement Representative (PEER) Program tool (PDF) to assist your facility in identification of a peer mentor or home patient peer advocate.
- Use this patient SME-identified tool (PDF) when educating patients on their choice of home hemodialysis:
- Use the Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI) QIA Monitoring Form for tracking education, interest, referrals, and transitions to home and for discussion of progress toward goals during QAPI meetings.
- Contact Us
- HSAG HIIN
- Medicare Provider Services
- Patients and Families
ESRD Networks Home
ESRD Network 7
- About Us
- For Patients and Families
- Patient and Family Engagement (PFE)
- For Providers
- Emergency Preparedness
- Quality Improvement Activities
- Learning and Action Networks
- Care Transitions
- Contact Us
- Continuing Education
- Events Calendar
- ESRD Network 13
- ESRD Network 15
- ESRD Network 17
- HSAG: ESRD Network Events
- HSAG ESRD Alerts, Recalls, and Notices
- ESRD Network 7
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- National Contracts
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/P4P)
- Survey Administration
- Other Services