Tuesday, July 11, 2017, 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. PT.
Sponsored by an unrestricted educational grant from Fresenius.
Opioids are one of the medication classes included in ISMP’s list of high-alert medications, which are drugs that bear a heightened risk of causing significant harm when used in error. Morphine and HYDROmorphone are both commonly used, yet remain among the most frequent opioids to cause patient harm.
This webinar will explore the latest trends in opioid therapy, barriers to optimal therapy and safety, and preventable errors that involve opioids. Expert speakers will discuss the latest safety considerations for these commonly-used agents, including a surprising discussion regarding the safe use of HYDROmorphone.
• Clinical educators
• Pain teams
• Pharmacy and nursing managers and administrators
• Medication safety and patient safety officers
• Risk and quality managers
• Hospital and health system leadership
At the completion of this activity, the participant will be able to:
• Identify system-based causes of medication errors associated with the use of opioids.
• Describe methods to identify risk associated with the use of opioids in their organization.
• Prioritize strategies and actions to prevent harm and improve opioid therapy for effective pain management.
• Select appropriate opioid therapy for severe pain based on chronicity/source of pain and co-morbid medical conditions.
• Evaluate the safety of opioid prescribing strategies.
Topics and Faculty:
Introduction and Overview
Michael R. Cohen, RPh, MS, ScD (hon.), DPS (hon.), FASHP – President, ISMP
System-based Causes of Adverse Events Associated with Opioids
Matthew Grissinger, RPh, FISMP, FASCP
Director of Error Reporting Programs, ISMP
Selecting Appropriate Opioid Therapy for Severe or Chronic Pain
Maria Foy, PharmD, BCPS, CPE
Patient Care Coordinator, Palliative Care, Abington Memorial Hospital, Abington, PA
- Contact Us
- HSAG HIIN
- Medicare Provider Services
- Patients and Families
- ESRD Networks Home
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- National Contracts
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/P4P)
- Survey Administration
- Other Services
- Medicare News
- QIO News