Thursday, May 11, 2017, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. PT.
Summary from 5/11 Pacing Event: “Interfacing with Geriatric Medicine: Surgery among the Elderly”
As patients undergo surgery at increasingly advanced ages, it is critical that good surgical care principles for older adults are adopted into practice. This Pacing Event examined multiple interventions to optimize outcomes for older patients across several harm areas, including SSIs, readmissions, falls, and ADEs. The session highlighted the new standards developed to improve quality for older surgical patients across four areas: goals and decision-making, perioperative optimization, clinical perioperative care, and care transitions. The speakers explored ways to make these standards flexible across different hospital settings, sizes, and resource levels. This session featured presentations from:
- Julia Berian, MD, from the Coalition on Quality in Geriatric Surgery (an initiative supported by the American College of Surgeons), discussed the Coalition’s work to develop and implement standards on geriatric surgery, as well as demonstrate the impact on patient care.
- Sandhya Lagoo-Deenadayalan, MD, PhD, from Duke University Hospital (Vizient HIIN), presented the hospital’s Perioperative Optimization of Senior Health (POSH) initiative, which has reduced hospital stays and readmissions by helping older patients and their families prepare for surgery and plan for recovery. This initiative leverages a multidisciplinary team with the goal of enhancing both patient experience and outcomes.
- Patient advocate Teresa Masters, shared the patient and family perspective on this topic by discussing the importance of educating patients to work with providers to examine alternatives to surgery, adequately prepare for needed surgery, and to think about the impact on quality of life.
To view and download slides from this Pacing Event, click here.
- Contact Us
- HSAG HIIN
- Medicare Provider Services
- Patients and Families
- ESRD Networks Home
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- National Contracts
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/P4P)
- Survey Administration
- Other Services
- Medicare News
- QIO News