Thursday, May 4, 2017, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. PT.
**Please note that the NCD Pacing Event on opioid use has been moved from 4/27 to 5/4. If you already registered for this Pacing Event, your registration will be transferred to the registration list for the 4/27 Pacing Event on pressure ulcers. A new registration link will be established for 5/4 - Opioid Use.
Summary from 5/4 Pacing Event: “ADE Deep Dive: Opioid Use”
This Pacing Event examined opioid use as a way to further HIINs’ and hospitals’ efforts to reduce adverse drug events (ADEs). The session provided information, discussed interventions, and shared actionable practices that can be implemented to reduce ADEs associated with opioids. Additionally, the concept of expanding the focus around the management of opioids, through thorough examination and evaluation of patients can improve outcomes. Specifically, this session featured presentations from several national subject matter experts:
- Elliot J. Krane, MD, Chief of Pediatric Pain Management at Stanford Children’s Health and Professor of Anesthesiology at the Stanford University Medical Center (Vizient HIIN), discussed current issues and evidence around opioid use, including strategies and interventions on which hospitals should focus across the care continuum;
- Jeffrey Fudin, BS, PharmD., FCCP, FASHP, from Remitigate, LLC, discussed the importance of risk assessment and stratification, including case examples and tools for assessing risk;
- Pam Dardess, MPH, from the American Institutes for Research and the PfP Patient and Family Engagement Contractor, discussed patient and family engagement strategies related to opioid use and reduction; and
- Daniel Buffington, PharmD, MBA, President and Founder of Clinical Pharmacology Services, Inc., and a Fellow with CMS, referenced the session’s content to discuss the idea of “stewardship” related to opioid use.
To view and download slides from this Pacing Event, click here.
- Contact Us
- HSAG HIIN
- Medicare Provider Services
- Patients and Families
- ESRD Networks Home
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- National Contracts
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/P4P)
- Survey Administration
- Other Services