Thursday, October 12, 2017, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. PT.
Summary from 10/12 Pacing Event:
This week’s Pacing Event addressed falls reductions by focusing on efforts to promote patient mobility in the hospital setting. Importantly, this event addressed common misconceptions that can serve as barriers to preventing falls, such as the perceived dichotomy between falls reductions and mobility efforts, as well as the perceived burden of mobility efforts on staff time. To address these issues, the session centered on a hospital-level success with mobility, and their results related to outcomes such as falls, pressure injuries, length of stay, and changes in staff perceptions about the work. In addition, newly-released training resources from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) were presented.
Specifically, the session featured presentations from:
- Khrys Davis, PT, Program Manager, and Roxann Rosendale, BSN, RN-BC, Clinical Manager, at Meritus Medical Center in Maryland (Premier HIIN), who discussed their mobility program, including its genesis, the interventions they implemented, and their results;
- Margie Shofer, BSN, MBA, from AHRQ, and Michelle Tregear, PhD, from AFYA, Inc., who discussed the components, resources, and pilot test results of the recently released Fall Prevention in Hospitals Training Program, which includes materials to help hospitals become familiar with each of the components of AHRQ’s Fall Prevention Toolkit and to learn how to develop, implement, and sustain a fall prevention program;
- Julia Neily, RN, MS, MPH, Associate Director of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) National Center for Patient Safety Field Office, who participated in the work with AHRQ on the new Fall Prevention in Hospitals Training Program, provided reactions and remarks, based on her extensive work in the VA’s falls reduction program; and
- Pat Merryweather, Executive Director, Project Patient Care, who drew from her extensive experiences in patient safety, including her work with a QIN-QIO, to provide the patient and family engagement perspective on this work.
To view and download slides from this Pacing Event, click here.
- Contact Us
- HSAG HIIN
- Medicare Provider Services
- Patients and Families
- ESRD Networks Home
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- National Contracts
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/P4P)
- Survey Administration
- Other Services