Thursday, January 4, 2018, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. PT.
Summary from 1/4 Pacing Event: “SSI Prevention”
This Pacing Event focused on the prevention of surgical site infections (SSIs). In this session, much of the discussion focused on the perspectives and role of the infection prevention team in the work to reduce SSIs. The session included a discussion about the 2017 CDC SSI Guidelines and how infection preventionists can apply these in their work. The session also presented efforts to sustain success on SSI reductions at the hospital level. In addition, we revisited the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality’s (AHRQ) Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) protocols by hearing about one HIIN’s implementation of these. Representatives from the AHRQ ERAS team joined the call to discuss recruitment and enrollment for their upcoming ERAS orthopedic cohort.
The session featured presentations from:
- Kerri Thom, MD, Associate Professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, who framed the session by discussing the CDC SSI Guidelines, focusing on how infection preventionists should implement the guidelines in their work and lessons learned from her own facility;
- Frank Piscioneri, BSN, RN, C.R.C.S.T., an infection preventionist from the Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital (OHA HIIN), who described his efforts to sustain Euclid’s extremely low SSI rates, primarily through observations in the OR and with the Central Processing Department, and plans to spread this approach to other areas of the hospital; and
- Shannon Davila, MSN, CIC, CPHQ, who discussed the New Jersey HIIN’s journey and successes around SSI reductions, including their collaborative-based approach, their application of the ERAS protocols, and the role of patient and family engagement in this work.
The session was moderated by Bruce Spurlock, MD (NCD).
To view and download slides and recording from this Pacing Event, click here.
- Contact Us
- HSAG HIIN
- Medicare Provider Services
- Patients and Families
- ESRD Networks Home
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- National Contracts
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/P4P)
- Survey Administration
- Other Services