The Diabetes Control Toolkit is developed by Health Services Advisory Group (HSAG) to help clinicians control the hemoglobin A1c levels of their patients with diabetes to reach and stay below 9.0%. Start by completing the organizational assessment to evaluate your current HbA1c control efforts and identify opportunities to accelerate diabetes quality improvement initiatives to achieve better control rates.
- Type 2 Diabetes Management Algorithm (PDF) from the American Association of Clinical Endocrinology
- Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes from the Ameican Diabetes Association (ADA)
- Eye Exams for Diabetes from the National Library of Medicine
- ADA Foot Care for Diabetes
- Nutrition Therapy Services from the National Council on Aging
- Dental Care for Diabetes from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- How to Help Your Patients
- Fostering Medication Taking: Tips and Tricks (PDF) from the Association of Diabetes Care and Education Specialists (ADCES)
- For hypertensive patients, please refer to Improving Medication Adherence Among Patients with Hypertension—A Tip Sheet for Healthcare Professionals (PDF) from Million Hearts®
Remote Patient Monitoring is a CMS program that can provide additional reimbursement to the clinician for patient’s use of continuous monitoring of their health condition via an electronically transmittable device.
- How to help patients use at-home health monitors from Telehealth.HHS.gov
- Remote Patient Monitoring Playbook (PDF) from the American Medical Association
- CMS 2022 National Reimbursement Amount for RPM services
Use these resources to download and share with your patients for better health outcomes.
- Diabetes Zone Tool (English/Spanish)(PDF)
- Diabetes Self-Assessment Form (PDF) from the American Academy of Family Physicians
- Self-Care Behaviors to Manage Diabetes from the Association of Diabetes care & Education Specialists (ADCES)
- Your Diabetes Care and Management Plan (PDF) from the American Diabetes Association (ADA)
- 4 Steps to Manage Your Diabetes for Life (PDF) from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive Kidney Diseases (NIDDKD)
- How to Lower Your A1c Levels Naturally from DiabetesSelfManagement.com
- MyPlate from the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture (USDA)
- 3-Minute Foot Exam (PDF) from HSAG
For any questions or for no-cost individualized technical assistance, please fill out the web-based form below. An HSAG technical assistance team member will reach out to you for a more detailed discussion on how to implement a diabetes control quality improvement initiative.