The Tobacco Cessation Toolkit is developed by Health Services Advisory Group (HSAG) to help clinicians implement evidence-based tobacco cessation care in their practices. Use the resources in this toolkit to understand tobacco cessation intervention steps, coding and payment information, and patient education. Start by taking a quick web-based assessment of your organization to identify how your practice currently functions to support tobacco cessation activities.
- Protocol for Identifying and Treating Patients Who Use Tobacco (PDF) from Million Hearts®
- The Brief Tobacco Intervention (PDF) from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- CDC Quitlines and Other Cessation Support Resources
- Arizona Smokers' Hotline
- American Indian Commercial Tobacco Program (AICTP)
- California Smokers' Hotline
- Asian Smokers' Quitline (ASQ)
- AMPLIFY! Cessation Support—Provides cessation support resources for smokers, family members, and professionals in California to support the African American community overcome the social, emotional, physical challenges of living without nicotine.
- California Tobacco Control Branch—The California Tobacco Control Branch leads statewide and local health programs, services and activities that promote an environment truly free of tobacco.
- Smokefree Español—Provides app-based cessation program, text options, and referrals to local tobacco cessation program for Hispanic/Latino-American Community.
Counseling for tobacco cessation, if well documented, can be reimbursed. Review the resources below to learn about the tobacco cessation counseling codes, national payment amount, and the documentation necessary to fulfill the billing requirements.
- Coding Reference: Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation Counseling (PDF) from the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- Billing Guide for Tobacco Screening and Cessation (PDF) from Lung.org
- National Payment Amount from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Million Hearts® Tobacco Cessation Change Package (PDF)
- Million Hearts® Treating Patients Who Use Tobacco—Action Steps for Clinicians (PDF)
- Teach-back Toolkit from the Institute for Healthcare Advancement
- AZ providers' training from the Ashline website
- CA providers' training from the KickIt California website
Technical Assistance—For any questions or for no-cost individualized technical assistance, please fill out the web-based form below. An HSAG technical assistance team member will reach out to you for a more detailed discussion on changes you can make to integrate tobacco cessation activities in your practice.